1. Protect Your Skin from Sun: One of the most important ways to take care of your skin is to protect it from the sun. Exposure to sun can cause wrinkles, age spots and other skin problems like skin cancer. It is always recommended to use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. Apply a generous amount of sunscreen and reapply the sunscreen as and when required. You can wear a hat to restrict harmful rays from reaching your skin.
2. Treat Your Skin Gently: Using hot water on your skin can remove oils from the skin and make it drier. Use warm water rather than hot water. Avoid strong soaps or cleansers that can strip oil and moisture from your skin. After washing or bathing, gently pat or blot your skin. Dry your towel so that some moisture stays on your skin.
3. If you have dry skin, make sure that you moisturize your skin adequately so that moisture remains on your skin. For daily use, it is recommended to use a moisturizer that has SPF in it.
4. A Healthy Diet: A healthy diet can help you look and feel your best. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins. Including fish oil or fish oil supplements and low in unhealthy fats and processed or refined carbohydrates might promote younger looking skin. Drinking plenty of water helps keep your skin hydrated.
5. Stress & Sleep: Uncontrolled stress can make your skin more sensitive and create skin problems. To encourage healthy skin and a healthy state of mind. Getting proper sleep helps you to rejuvenate. While you sleep, your skin is in repair mode. Hence it is recommended to have stress-free sleep for at least 8 hours.
6. Maintaining Skin Care Routine: Following CTOM as a part of your skincare routine is essential to maintain healthy skin. Using toners for your skin can make your skin look hydrated. It wipes out all the impurities and can make your skin feel softer and supple.
7. With most of us glued to our laptops and all the time attending some virtual meeting or another our eyes have gone for a toss. So, a lot care and importance should be given to eye care. Keep a good eye cream or gel to avoid getting dark circles. You can also put potato slices on your eyes for 5 minutes to soothe them.
8. Banana face pack is the most effective and moisturising face pack. Take a banana, 1 tablespoon honey, a quarter teaspoon of cream or milk powder and 2 drops of sandalwood oil. Mix these ingredients well and apply on your face. Let it on for 20 minutes, rinse off afterwards and apply a moisturiser in the end.
9. While you pick your foundation, make sure you pick a water-based lightweight foundation that provides a fine look on the skin rather than a greasy look.
10. It is very common that we don’t feel very thirsty in winters. But it is extremely important that we drink at least 8 glasses of water. It not only hydrates your skin but flush out toxins from your skin.
11. Exfoliate your skin twice a week, use rice powder, yoghurt, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon. Mix this all together to make a nice exfoliator at home.
12. Turmeric helps in simulating new skin cell growths, hence controls ageing by protecting cells from damage. Combine turmeric with rice powder and use that paste once a week to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
13. Add 2 drops of jasmine essential oil with almond oil, and massage gently on your face. After the massage, place a hot towel over your face for oil to seep in better and relax further. This will help improve the elasticity of your skin.
14. In a spray bottle, dilute 3-4 drops of Rose essential oil with water to create a homemade toner or a face mist. This helps restore freshness all through the day.
15. Neroli essential oil is excellent for rejuvenating mature dry skin. Use it for facial massage by adding 2 drops of it with almond oil and massage gently. After massaging with this place a hot towel over your face for oil to seep in better and relax further.
16. For chronic acne, apply 1 drop of tea tree essential oil directly on the affected area pimples.
17. Take a teaspoon of yoghurt, add a pinch of salt and a few drops of lemon & sandalwood essential oil in it. Mix all these together. Now take a slice of potato to apple the mixture evenly on your face. Keep it on for 15-20 minute and rinse it off.
This is an excellent recipe for dark circles and for removing tan.
18. Tomato puree works gently on skin and is beneficial in removing tan from the skin. Besides replenishing the skin with oils, it evens the skin tone, and helps in making the dry skin bright and glowing.
19. If you are looking for overnight brightness then make a face pack with cucumber, rosewater and glycerin.
20. Use coffee bean scrub to remove the dead skin, coffee is especially good for mature skin.
21. If you have oily skin remember that you still need to moisturize your skin in all seasons. But, to avoid getting your pores clogged use gel-based products like aloe vera sunscreen gel, juniper berry moisturizer which are easy on your skin.